Job Description - Nursery Assistant Manager | Lititz
Title: Nursery Assistant Manager
Reports to: Nursery Manager
Classification: Full Time
Location: Lititz Store
TO APPLY: Please download our application and return your completed form via one of two methods listed below.
- Email to: HR@Esbenshades.com
- Print and return to the courtesy counter at our Lititz Store
Expectation is to offer our customers polite, prompt, energetic, enthusiastic and courteous service with a smile. The ability to be patient when confronted with a challenge, and to continually seek out knowledge of all shrubs, trees and related products. A strong background in retail, as well as woody ornamentals is preferred.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Customer service is first and foremost. This means approaching every customer with a smile and pleasant attitude, offering assistance as needed, answering questions politely, following up later if you don’t know the answer at first, and doing all you can to provide Esbenshade’s customers with a positive, successful shopping experience so that they will want to return.
- Excellent communication skills with customers in order to suggest tie-in sales.
- Assisting manager with responsibilities.
- Responsible for general clean up and maintenance of nursery yard and water garden display areas.
- Maintain a clean and safe nursery environment, carefully monitor any trip hazards.
- Responsible for assisting with inventory and sales.
- Ensure good communication with customers and co-workers.
- Must be flexible with scheduling to accommodate customer service for the workweek.
- Keep informed of weekly sales items. Keep cashiers updated on all in-store and advertised specials within your department and assist the manager in providing them with the appropriate information to keep checkout lines running smoothly.
- Ability to learn and run register, to perform mathematical calculations and to take responsibility for cash shortages or overages when running the register. Assist with closing out cash drawers in the evening if needed, when scheduled.
- Ability to open and close store when scheduled.
- Knowledge of our Customer Loyalty Card Program.
- Commitment to attend employee meetings and training.
- Willingness to learn to operate forklift, bobcat and any other necessary equipment.
- Willingness to provide cross coverage in other departments as needed.
- Position includes mulch and nursery deliveries, heavy lifting, loading and unloading of trees, shrubs and hard goods for customers and vendors.
- Provide attractive and creative displays with proper signage and information for customers, including seasonal rotation of flowering plants.
- Ensure that all plants receive proper care – watering, fertilizing, pest management, etc.
- It is mandatory that all employees obey safety rules and to exercise caution in all their activities.
- All other duties assigned by upper management personnel.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Basic knowledge of (or ability to attain knowledge of) fertilizers, herbicides, fungicides and other chemicals and methods of pest control.
- Ability to solve problems and make decisions or suggestions for customers.
- Ability to move and setup displays, pot up nursery stock, maintain nursery.
- Valid Pennsylvania driver’s license.
- Basic knowledge of woody ornamentals and perennials is required.
- High level of initiative and desire for excellence.
Education & Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Good knowledge or background in nursery stock, water gardening and perennials.
- Experience in nursery and landscaping.
- Experience with retail sales.
- Willingness to work evenings (one to three per week), Saturdays and holidays.
- Willingness to work overtime as needed during busy spring season.
- Must be able to lift heavy objects. (Up to 70 lbs. pounds).
- Must be able to be on your feet for long periods of time. (10 to 12 hours).
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions including; heat, coolness, rain, snow and high humidity.