Are Poinsettias Toxic?

poinsettias-in-vary.jpg

The widespread belief that poinsettias are highly toxic is a misconception.
 According to the ASPCA, Poinsettias are considered only mildly toxic to some dogs and cats - meaning that it does not pose a serious or fatal threat to animals. 

As with all ornamental plants, poinsettias are not intended for human or animal consumption. Individuals with a sensitivity to latex - the milky fluid found in cut poinsettias and other plants - may experience allergic reactions in the form of a rash or irritation that develops when the skin is exposed to the latex. This has been observed to occur only with people who are allergic to latex and products made from this material.